Monday, January 5, 2015

First snow storm of the year - Iowa City 2015

How would it feel to be in the middle of a snow storm? As I walk up the slope to my car this afternoon one step after the other through 2-3 inches of snow already on the ground, - this question started growing in my mind. With some difficulty, I found my way home under heavy snow fall. Next thing I know, I was snapping my buttons all the way down to my ankles looking out at the curtain of snow that was falling peacefully, unaware of her power, her beauty....

Sidewalks difficult to discern and daylight getting less and less, no help. My feet took charge, trusting them, I was just enjoying what was unfolding before my eyes, touching all my senses, what a silent audio-visual feast... A very rare car here and there, even less human beings, only two in an hour to be exact... All the better, I want to be alone with trees, brushes, birds if I am lucky and the snow, I need nothing else... My eyes are fixed on the crystals of snow flakes on the ground for a long time. With ever dissapearing scarce light reflecting on the snow from street lights, they shimmer in all directions. My feet gliding through the snow create a spray of the beautful powder rising an inch above my feet before the sparkling flakes land back on the ground. Sometimes, I have to find my way and stay on the sidewalk by following the posts, mailboxes or fire hydrants, sometimes I follow the foot steps of earlier fellow hikers: some foot steps are huge burying my feet up to my ankles, some are more managable, some are barely visible alrady covered with an inch of snow since the imprints were laid over the earlier layer.

I finally find myself at the entrance of my neighborhood park, Hickory Hill. I hesitate for a second, it is dark dark now, could I pass through the park at this time of the night, could there be any risk? It looks so peaceful and inviting, I dare taking my first step into the park. Somehow, the park is lit much better than the roads. I turn around looking for the origin of the pinkish hue on the snow, where is the light coming from? Nowhere, the sky carries a very light hue of the same perhaps emitted from the city in the distance, the snow has simply accentuated it, unbelievable... I walk on, following a curious trail, perhaps the trails of a cross country skier, what else could have left two paralel lines a foot apart? The only disturbance in the middle of this world of peace is the sound of my foot steps and the crunch crunch the powdery white stuff is singing under my feet. Such beautiful music. Snow is still falling; landing gently on my eye lashes, on my cheeks, sometimes on my lips with a cool, sweet sensation. I taste the snow, take it in, refreshing. I think of our mindfulness class when we had eaten a raisin over several minutes...

I am finally out of the park's opposite end back into civilization. I follow bike trails on the side walk this time. A few cars on this main road are having quite a difficult time in climbing up the hill. It is refreshing to pass multiple cars as they are struggling with the nature. I sail by... When I am back to my neighborhood, my foot prints are covered with more than an inch of snow already, undisturbed otherwise. There is a beautiful softness, mildness, and tenderness to the way they have been preserved. My neighbors are all tucked into their warm homes. I wish them well. I can't help thinking of those, who may not have the same warmth in their homes, in their hearts, I wish them well, too. I hope, the beauty of this snow may warm more hearts than one could expect, knowing too well, that appreciating snow has a lot to do with "haves and have nots". I hope, this beauty doesn't hurt anyone in Iowa City tonight and throughout this winter..


No comments: