Tuesday, July 4, 2017

BOGOTA COLOMBIA 2017 - 1 - WONDERFUL PEOPLE OF COLOMBIA


My connection to Colombia follows a stream of serendipities… In 2013, when I was organizing a conference in Iowa City, a team from Colombia appeared on the registration site. Led by a pediatrician and a psychiatrist, several other young pediatricians arrived in town, which led to my first trip to Colombia to participate in a conference they organized in the summer of 2014. Since I visited Colombia in August of 2014, it has acquired a very warm place in my mind and heart.

Weekend Bikers of Bogota occupying one of the major highways 
Bogota with its old town, its political activism, its university town atmosphere, its modernity to the extent to close off a main highway every Sunday for its citizens to enjoy an enormous biking, walking, running, scootering grounds that stretch for miles. Following my 4 days of teaching in Bogota then, I had visited Cartagena and had one of the best vacations there in its old town living in a tiny family hotel close to Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s home, strolling on the city wall every sunset and more… As for any Izmirite, who grows up with stunning sunsets over the Aegean day in day out, sunsets have been my inherently natural “seize-the-moment” stretches of time. Meditating with the backdrop of sunsets against the Caribbean Sea had carried me all the way back home filling my heart with peace…

Sunset from Cartagena in 2014
I am back this time for strictly teaching purposes to establish child protection teams in hospitals and engage community agencies with university hospitals. Trip starts with multiple delays in my flights. Instead of 9:45 pm, I arrive in Bogota around 1 am the next morning. But, all is well, seeing my friend Miguel and his wife’s warm, friendly faces even at that hour of the morning with their kids alone at home warms my heart and all the difficulty of the flight adventures disappear into the wet night of this subtropical land.
Dear Miguel and Catalina at an authentic Colombian dinner
This is one virtue unique to Colombia. People, rich or poor, under convenient or inconvenient circumstances, always smile, always friendly, always warm. And it is not the Bollywood kind of jolliness, which almost irritates me: Although I haven’t traveled to India, yet, I suspect Bollywood movies caricaturize Indian lives… There is depth, elegance, transparency, dignity, and ingenuity in the kind of warmth, welcome, and friendliness I find in Colombia. The gentleman, Jairo, an employee of AFECTO, a child abuse prevention NGO that is partly hosting me is an example.
Meat market in Bogota from 2014
He will pick me up from the hotel to take me to the airport on my way to Peru in a few days. I will have to use my little bit of Spanish since he doesn’t speak any English. And we will connect instantaneously. I will learn later on what a warm, respectful, protective and kind man he is with his soon-to-become very familiar Colombiano elegance that I see in everybody around me. Miguel and Catalina are probably the best examples of such Colombiano elegancy, ingenuity, and humility. And their warm hearts reveal themselves one more time with an invitation to their mother’s day lunch, which is tomorrow. I am thrilled that they think of me for their family lunch and am looking forward to seeing their three wonderful children again.

Bogota from the terrace restaurant of Hotel Charlotte
Finally, I am at my humble hotel room, one of the hotels, Hotel Charlotte across the university campus, where our teaching course will be held. It has a theme or ornamentation from the entertainment world, with pictures of all classic figures of the world from Beatles to Marylin Monroe, from Laurel and Hardy to Charlie Chaplin  and many other figures that I can’t recognize. The hotel staff is beside themselves in trying to make my stay comfortable. None speaks English, another opportunity to put my Spanish to work. I will be amazed with how much my Spanish has improved at the end of the two weeks in South America. So much that, when it comes to saying thanks and good bye to our trekking team in Peru, our tour guide recommends me to make the speech!!!
Our chef cooking eggs!
The breakfast hall is on the terrace of the hotel, beautifully furnished. Most importantly, the staff are the nicest Mestizos, always with a warm smile, willing to teach me Spanish words to describe to them and their colleagues how I’d like my egg in the morning. They learn quickly, I don’t drink coffee and bring me herbal tea every morning. It is so clear that their smile and warmth is not for a tip, they get surprised and refuse it at first when I give them a tip to share among the server, the cook, and the bellboy.
My mestizo waiters were just like these ladies, except they were male (too bad I didn't take a picture of them)
It will be somewhat different in Peru, where, the commercialization of Machu Picchu and us Americans instilling our ways into at least Peruvian guide culture, I will see again the expression in the eyes of most of our American waiters and waitresses that tells me “the role I am playing is to get the biggest tip you can give”. I think, tipping is an American invention to shift some of the responsibility of business owners of paying their workers well to the customers, which to me eliminates the social innocence of relationships between customers and servers by bringing direct money exchange into the equation.  
The lady that fixes a beautiful flower vase for Catalina
I take a long walk on Avenida 26, hoping I can get to the Old town and back to the hotel after a brief visit there. It is not possible. After walking an hour and enjoying the bikers and strollers, and scooters alongside me using the entire width of the avenida except for the bus lanes, I get as far as the flower market: In fact the last kilometer of my walk, I had started seeing native women with flower and green buckets preparing simple and small bunches of flowers for mothers day gifts. None of them is at the quality I’d like to give to Catalina during our lunch. Once I get to the flower market, though, I am stunned with the elegance of the bouquets and vases of flowers artistic Colombianas have put together and on display. Yes these are the ones I can choose from. After I have secured a vase of assorted flowers, I decide it is time to go back to the hotel. Miguel picks me up with his family. It is like a family reunion since I had met the entire family in 2014, then all except for their oldest son in San Francisco in 2015, when Miguel was at the University of Iowa.  
Flower market from where I bought Catalina's gift
It is very clear that everybody is happy. I sit with the boys in the back and catch up with all of them one by one. Their oldest is planning to do a master’s degree on videogame engineering. Samuel is in high school, has a girlfriend. The little one is going to Canada soon on a school trip. All of them speak English beautifully. And they are typical Colombians, warm, loving, innocent, sweet, and welcoming. I have communicated with my mother and the rest of my family, with my daughter and exchanged loving mother’s day wishes. When we get to the old Spanish colonial building, where we have our lunch Catalina loves the flowers I give her. We have the best time as a big family enjoying our mother’s day. I don’t have any deprivation feelings. My heart is full of warmth and loving kindness for this chosen family of mine in Bogota as well as my lovely offspring and other family members of my own blood across the ocean.
Meeting my mother will wait until the end of June...
 

No comments: