Tuesday, July 31, 2018

COLOMBIA 2018 - 1 - KINDNESS FEELS SO GOOD, I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE ALL CANNOT BE KIND AT ALL TIMES...


My fourth trip to Colombia, one of my most favorite countries among all that I have visited so far. Although, the government of my dear friends there drove both my friends and I crazy by not purchasing my ticket until 3 days prior to my flight, I still love this country and its people! In fact, in a way, I am grateful for that experience since it tested my patience and ability to stay in the moment that I am trying to get better and better at for some time now...

I am thankful to all that crossed my path and taught me to be more patient..

Knowing the similarities between Colombian and Turkish cultures, I suspected our government employees would be similar, too. I had asked my dear friend Isabel, who is the director of a phenomenal NGO, called Afecto in Colombia to make sure before the purchase I would see the itinerary. And she did, as I was traveling home from New York City, she did send me the proposed itinerary, which made me "spring up to the ceiling from my seat"! My trip was starting from Cedars with a return in 11 days to the same city. They had just omitted five letters from my departure city, which should have been Cedar Rapids!
 
I am glad I didn't give up on Colombian government, now we have a lovely relationship!

Luckily Isabel and I are connected through Whatsapp, and I was able to send her a "Noooooo, don't let them purchase that ticket, I don't know where that city is", certainly with a smiley face at the end to prevent a heart attack on her part. She had worked with the government for at least 2 months and this was what they could produce. I bet Isa and her husband Julio had multiple conversations with the governmental staff, who insisted that their office would purchase the ticket and government wouldn't reimburse anybody. When the ticket was finally purchased, I noticed that I had become a male, most likely, people in developing countries still considering a doctor must be a man, let alone a professor. I thought, I wouldn't worry about it as long as I had a ticket at hand. Isa corrected it and they sent me a new ticket, however, when I checked in I was still a man! When I went to the gate, nobody paid attention to what the gender was. Should the plane fall, that might be a problem, but I won't bring it up...

Isabel and I definitely have a stronger relationship for being willing to show understanding and support to each other in the process

Boarding the plane starts with a positive note: I was working at the gate, on the last entries of my trip to Turkey for this blog. Although I was thinking, I was also listening to the announced zones, I must have not been as successful in multi-tasking as I thought I could. I hear the last zone being announced and wrap up very quick and get in line. Earlier in Dallas, I had tucked my fleece jacket over the straps of my day back pack. I was cognizant of its presence there. Every time I put on my backpack I would check to make sure the jacket was still there. But not this time. Impatience always gets in the way of mindfulness, doesn't it? How many times do I have to lose something before I learn, a pause is needed the most when I feel most pressured, rushed, or impatient. Work in progress…I haven’t lost hope in myself, yet…
 
Isabel, my dear friend, thanks for being so understanding through the process of my travel to Colombia

I get on the plane and as I walk through 1st class seats, my hand instinctively goes back to the straps of my backpack, I must have felt calmer now, back to my senses. Sure enough the jacket is not there. For a moment, I consider going out to look for it, I know exactly where it would be, laying on the floor where I had left the backpack, while I was working on my computer. There is already a line of at least 15-20 people behind me. I decide not to cause a chaos and let it go… As I take a few more steps forward, I hear the must-be-Colombian stewardess announce “If anybody left a green fleece jacket at the gate, we have it, please let us know…”

My fleece jacket would have become just one more of lost and found had it not been for the kindness and caring of whoever gave it to our stewardess... 

I turn around, raise my hand and say gently “It is mine.” I bet there is a smile on my face. My words reach the stewardess by word of mouth and in a minute, she looks my way, our eyes connect with a smile on both faces, and she produces my jacket. The light green cloth moves from hand to hand traveling toward me, I am facing the line of passengers that stopped their boarding for a minute. Everybody is smiling at me as they pass this “flag” of connection forward. My heart is dancing… Not necessarily for the fact that in a few more moments I will reunite with my jacket. But more so: What simple but lovely connection among totally stranger human beings this carelessness of mine that triggered kindness on the part of whoever picked it up and brought it to the plane is harboring. Do they know how I am touched by it? I don’t know that they do or they can, for that matter. But just as Pema Chodron, Tara Brach, Thich Nhat Hanh and many others teach, what matters is this positive kindness energy that is in the air. I can tell by looking at the face of each person, whose hand contributes to the deliverance of my jacket into my hands, they are all happy as much as I am…
 
Not only our own lives, but sometimes the lives of others' around us. I am thankful to those who taught me the value of positive thinking even in the most difficult situations...
 
As I thank with my words and eyes every face of the hand that touched my jacket, I turn forward to move toward my seat. Later I will regret why I didn't ask who had brought my jacket to the plane to thank them in person. Another mindless moment being overloaded with positive emotions... This experience brings a recent memory to mind, however, again from an airport. I was returning from New York City, connecting in Detroit. I had visited my daughter and given a grand rounds at Mount Sinai Kravis Children’s Hospital the week before. I had the water thermos with me that I had inherited from a very dear student, now a colleague Victoria, Tori in short. Tori had done a research project with me and we had connected so well, we had become friends at the end of the mentor-mentee relationship.  During one of our meetings she had inadvertently left her thermos in my office. Time was running out before her move to Arizona to start her residency. I took her thermos to my house, where we were going to get together for our “last supper” to celebrate her upcoming wedding to which I was not going to be able to attend due to my last trip to Turkey.

My dear Tori, one of the best students I worked with throughout my career... 

It turns out we had such lively conversations at the dinner table, although the thermos was at one end of the table so that it would be visible to all of us, she and her husband-to-become left without picking up her thermos. I thought that was her gift to me, a constant memory to cherish and didn’t mail it to her. When I traveled to New York City, I took the thermos for the first time with me on a trip. On my return trip, I was early to the airport, busying myself with reading Pema Chodron's book "Taking the Leap" at the gate. I had taken my water bottle out of the pocket of my backpack to sip on water. When it wasn't in use, I kept it between my body and the arm rest of the seat I was sitting on.
 
Unfortunately, I have taken joys of my life for granted at times, apologizing for them as I become more aware. if there is anybody that I haven't, please let me know...
 
And that’s how I left it on the seat where it was as the boarding started only to recall I had left it at the gate when the doors were already closed. It broke my heart, it was almost like saying a final good bye to Tori. But what could I do other than let it go… I took deep breaths, forgave myself and tried to meditate on the flight back to Detroit. As I left the aircraft, walking to my next gate, I heard a woman’s voice behind me: “M'am, you were on the plane from New York, weren’t you?” I turned around, since the voice was so close by, I wondered if that mam was meant to be I. A woman in her late 40s or early 50s, probably of Scandinavian origin, possibly form a small town… How do I know any of this, it is all based on our perceptions, which are wrapped with biases that all or at least some may be incorrect. What I know for sure is that there was an unmistakable kindness and caring on that face.
 
Although, this is an internet picture, the woman here looks so much like the lovely lady who brought my water bottle to me on the plane, it is unbelievable coincidence... 

She was talking to me indeed, since our eyes locked into one another’s the moment I turned around. Just as I said “Yes” , she raised her hand and said “Is this yours?” and in her hand was my dear Tori’s thermos. My face must have lit up with joy since I saw the reflection of joy I had in my heart on her face. To my “Yes” she responded with “I thought so. I saw you drinking from it at the gate at La Guardia, then when we saw the thermos on the seat we decided to take it along with us to give it to you.”
Another internet picture for the key word "meditative hug": We probably hugged each other just like these two women

The entire universe turned into a warm, light, calming breeze, a loving caress. I must have melted as I uttered “You are so kind, this is so precious" with an even bigger smile, which must have filled my entire face at that point. I couldn't help but allowing the Turk in me ask her "May I give you a hug?” She was full of joy as much as I and our arms reached out to each other at the same time. There we were, two women, stranger to one another until an hour and a half ago, and one woman’s caring and kindness now connected them in a meditative hug, holding one another for 5 seconds perhaps; yet another gift.
 
As I grow older, I ask myself more and more whether I am kind enough in all moments that call for kindness... 

I gave a hug to the teenaged girl that was traveling with the kind woman, her daughter, or granddaughter, both possible. She was watching us all along with as big a smile on her face as ours, witnessing this interaction between two strangers, who cared about one another, who opened their hearts to one another, and thanked the universe for this loving interaction. Her face was full of joy and peace, what a teaching moment for her to grow up to become as caring as her mother or grandmother.
 
So very true, the more I try this, the more it expands my heart... 

They were to stay in Detroit, I to catch another flight, my now friend of the world told me affectionately “We’ll let you go.” And we parted. I took maybe 20 steps still full of the good feelings they left me with, all of a sudden a stream of tears started rolling down my face. First they screamed “Why can’t everybody be so caring, so kind, so willing to go that extra 2 inches? It is kindness that makes everybody happy. Not frustration, not anger, not fear, not ignorance.” Part of this was toward myself, I now know well that I did hurt people with my fears turned into frustration, impatience, and grasping, which I would like to mend until then end of my life. But what about those, who turn their fears mindlessly to anger, hatred, blindness, and wars…

Wouldn't it be wonderful if at least one third of the world's population practiced this? It is said that when more than one third of any group practices an attitude, the culture changes! 

Gradually, they turned into calm, peaceful, mindful droplets telling me “We are all interconnected, wherever we come from, whether we can understand each other’s thoughts, motives, attitudes, or behaviors… When the opportunity to do good arises, all differences cease and goodness that we choose to bring out trumps everything else and all turns out to be well.” Once again, human kindness and caring make not only me happy, but all the passengers, through whose hands my jacket traveled until it reached me tonight. I am thankful that I am surrounded by caring, honest, kind people on this flight, who are able to touch the good core in their hearts…
Maybe we can raise children with mindfulness tools. An internet site provides exactly that for those readers, who may be interested in it: https://lookforlittlehelpers.com/mindfulnessforkids/

 

No comments: