Saturday, November 4, 2017

TURKEY FALL 2017 - 5 - PUTTING EACH OTHER IN CONFINING BOXES...


One more visit to Turkey is over. As I always do, reflection time. The main theme in my reflections over this visit happens to be around how we Turks (or is this cross-cultural?) lock each other into a box and interpret each other through the confines of that box, which may sometimes be decades old. That confinement we engage in at individual level certainly cannot be segregated from the macro level confinement the culture imposes on us. As the years go by, I realize more and more that I tried to escape this confinement process, this, in a way, imprisonment by leaving Turkey in 1998 and getting established in the US.

For years after I moved to the US, I thought, it was my family that practiced this confinement loaded with some elements of judgment, slight grandiosity, oppression in the name of protection, explosive expressivity, suffering over shame and guilt: My family has always been full of pride around being Cretan and having brought more western values to Anatolia, where most of native Turks had some decades ahead of them to catch up with the West, when the Cretans arrived in Turkey. They had kept their pride in hiding during the oppressive discrimination period in the early 1900s. Once they integrated into the dominant culture in the next couple of generations, more and more of that pride was released mostly in a benevolent manner, yet, still feeding into a subtle looking down on the native Turks and Turkish culture.

All the ornaments of this ethnic identification and confinement helped them stay who they were when they were confined into their own ethnic group: The truth be told, when the “Catastrophie” as Greeks call it, occurred it moved millions of people across the Aegean, Greek speaking Anatolians to Greece and Muslim Greeks, known as Turkos to Anatolia. Neither Turkos of Greece nor Greeks of Anatolia were welcome initially in their new country: Turkos were discriminated against by the derogatory nickname “The seed of Greeks” as well the Anatolian Greeks being called “Turkos”. Just as any ethnicity in a new land does under cultural pressures of othering, my people also kept it to themselves. They intermarried, they continued speaking Greek rather Cretan instead of rushing to learn Turkish that protected the Cretan identity at least for three generations.

I also was forced to identify with the high expectations of this subculture for at least for several decades. Some of these expectations were good, hard work, honor, honesty, family values, excelling in anything you did… However, some of these virtues were also entangled with judgmental-ism, slight (perhaps not so slight, who knows) grandiosity or pride, shame and guilt… It wasn’t until my 30s that I finally started seeing that something in this subculture was not right. Individual rights and need for happiness were being sacrificed in the name of the well-being of the group all around me, which started alienating me from my roots. Perhaps I carried a subconscious awareness of that even during my childhood, which might have led to my refusal to learn Greek, the mother tongue of my grandparents. My parents had already integrated into Turkish-ness and dominant Turkish culture that became my natural path for couple of decades, also. During my late 20s early 30s, I started recognizing through this process of becoming fully Turkish that there was no difference between the confinement through Cretan lens versus Turkish. That is when I had decided to preserve the good of both cultures and refuse the not so good in either. Little did I know then, that in another decade I would have to practice the same between American culture versus Aegean culture.  

One may wonder where all this contemplation comes from during this trip to Turkey: Some of my childhood connections that I encountered during this trip opened to path to deep listening and thinking… Unexpectedly, a different awareness surfaced in my cognition: Especially those friends, with whom we have not preserved an intimate closeness in continuity over the years may provide the best opportunity to recognize where we are at on the spectrum of openness to recognize and appreciate the evolution each one of us has gone through as we have sailed through life… When one spends 7 years of their lives in a special middle-high school complex day in day out, that may indeed set a box for each one of us in the minds of each one of us, the confines of which may have remained unchanged for the last 40 years. 

Reunions until before the last decade with my high school friends were all about having fun, running over our collective memories from our school years, sharing our hopes for the future, when we were still raising families and still had more of our careers ahead of us… At age 58, a lot of my high school friends have retired, completed raising their children, diving into grandparenthood, things started having slightly changed. Are we approaching the stage to look back and assess what have lived and what we have not? How do we handle the lived-ness and unlived-ness of life’s wonders? How many of us will be able to process our pasts with the wisdom of impermanence, calm recognition, loving embrace, and peaceful carpa diem? Are we able to generate equanimity, loving kindness, and compassion toward each one of us and find true joy and peace in each one of us? Is all the laughter we savor around our raki table genuine and out of joy and happiness, or is some of it to escape the ache of some of our lived-ness and unlived-ness? How many of them do I truly know in depth to understand their joy and pain in full truth? How many of them know me in depth as the true me on this very day with all the growth struggles and joys of life gifted me with?

More and more, I am finding more satisfaction in one on one meeting with friends and those I’d like to spend time with. Even a third person in the conversation changes the rhetoric so drastically, let alone in a group of 15-20? That is why I tried to spend 5-10 minutes of one on one time with each friend at my high school reunion. That was the best time of the entire evening with each one of them. Until I received the question when a group of us was thoroughly enjoying themselves as 58 year young rowdy kids! I was asked whether I had ever lost myself in such adventurous joy, ever taken risks without thinking of what would have followed, essentially, whether I had had fully lived or not at some point in my life. I remembered the value of pause. Especially, when something unexpected is thrown at us, pause becomes the space we may gift ourselves with before we respond to the surprise with mindful, kind, and compassionate speech.

In the past, I would have taken a question like this as the person criticizing me and that perception would have made me upset, disappointed, and to a certain extent angry. I bet all these emotions would have reflected in my speech. This time, the question he posed made me simply curious. Multiple questions went through my mind: Is this a question or a statement? If it is a statement, what does he base his perception on? When did that perception become solidified in his mind? Is he willing to learn me as who I am now? Are all of us full of similar solidified perceptions, most of which might be wrong? Thich Nhat Hanh states for true happiness, we should be committed to practicing generosity in our thinking, speaking, and actions. It is possible only with understanding and compassion. Loving speech and compassionate listening are two tools that not only relieve suffering in others but also promote reconciliation and peace both in ourselves and in others.
I didn’t know if my friend knew any of this. I didn’t know if he was simply inviting me to “letting it go” or confronting me with something that I have confronted myself long long time ago… I wanted to believe that he was compassionately letting me know that in case I had not let it go ever, it was time to do so… The little Resmiye in this 58 year old body and history is grateful to you my friend, luckily, she has already led the way to the adult Resmiye to learn to enjoy the joys of life sometimes in laughter with little things, sometimes in exertion of a hike to a mountain top, sometimes in dancing to a melody in trance, and at least one time in making the leap across the Atlantic with a 13 year old between her wings… And we are open to many more opportunities of letting go in the years to come…

 

No comments: