Thursday, October 4, 2018

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC 2018 - 4 - UNFORGETTABLE JEWISH QUARTER AND NAPRSTEK MUSEUM, RATHER ITS FOUNDER


I don’t know if it is Prague or the jet lag, but again I slept in until 10:30 am. If my body needs it, I have to respect it. My breakfast is richer this morning; in addition to my peach and banana, I have the delicious left over half a sandwich from last night.
 
Ingenious invention for kids to "walk" on the river!
 
Today, I want to find out where the supermarket that my hosts recommended is, since the prices at the mini-market downstairs seem to be outrageous even to my uneducated mind. I turn out to be right: When I do my shopping there at the end of the day, I will purchase 3-4 days-worth of fruit, water, bread, cheese, red peppers and tomatoes with very little amount of Czech Korunas. My cashier seems to be somber if not unhappy. I will be happy to bring a faint smile to her face when I surprise her with merely a “Dobri verce” (Good night) in Czech… How little people need to feel connected, respected, and accepted... 

This beauty of Charles Bridge and the Vltava River is so mesmerizing, I will keep coming back to it, every morning, every evening...
 
My goal is to go to Louvre Cafe to have a cup of tea, but by the time I reach the waterfront, I realize I missed it already. Later during my stay, when I manage to stop by at this café, I will be disappointed to find out that it is a huge restaurant consisting of multiple levels, with no appeal to me. On my path to find a place to have tea, I come across Naprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures: It is not misspelled, Czech language is notorious with sequential consonants with no vowels, and this is not the worst sequence…I read in my mini-Czech language book a sentence consisting of 4-5 words; no word including a vowel!

Pottery from Naprstek Museum 

The museum is very lovely having brought together items of all kinds from all over the world displaying cultures of mostly indigenous peoples of Asia, Africa, all of North and South Americas, Australia, New Zealand, even the Arctic! But Mr. Vojtech Naprstek’s life story is one of a kind, laying out the man’s spirit that must have been bigger than life. He was born in 1826 to a couple running a brewery in Prague. Eventually he became a Czech philanthropist, patriot and politician, and even pioneering Czech language journalism in the United States, of all places in Milwaukee.

 The top floor of the Naprstek Museum

According to what I learned at the museum, some of which is in conflict with what Wikipedia describes, he was exposed to other cultures while growing up and wanted to study Oriental Sciences in Vienna. At the same time he was developing a Czech identity, although supported in that by his mother, especially after his father’s death, his mother expected him to take over the family business, when he wanted to travel the world. In the end, they agreed upon him studying law in Vienna.

Mr. Naprstek and his must-be-a-kind-woman wife Josefa 

However, with approaching 1848 revolutionary winds, he engaged in political activism and started organizing students in Vienna as he had done back in Prague. He was arrested in Vienna, but moreover, Czech government then banned him from returning to Prague. After his release, he and his then activist girlfriend went to the US penniless. Eventually, they moved to Milwaukee, where he found a larger population of Czech ex-patriots. He opened a bookstore and led Czech nationalism building efforts and became the spiritual father of Czech journalism in the US by publishing the freethinking newspaper Milwaukee Flügblatter in the ten years he lived there.

Milwaukee Flugblatter newspaper published by Mr. Naprstek during his tenure in the USA 

When he eventually returned to Prague in 1857, he first convinced his mother to allow him marry the family maid Peitcka (must be a nickname since her full name is Josefa Krizkova), who turned out to become his life and business partner. As soon as they got married, Vojtech adopted 5 orphaned children, and the couple, rather, Pietcka raised 7 children including her two orphaned nephews, proving that they were not only some of the most open-minded people of their time, but their hearts were also wide open to all that needed them. They engaged in all kinds of progressive ideas from women’s rights, to outdoors activities and naturalism, to nation building to enlightening their society in all fronts. It wasn’t long before his old buddies, who had also engaged in politics, arts, and world traveling like himself, started circling around him. This group of young people began discussing the possibility of establishing a Czech National Museum.
 
Some things are left to come back to with (a) dear friend(s), this one was what I left unvisited this time, in Prague: The Czech National Museum
 
This pursuit would take many decades. His role in the establishment of the current museum started as a Technological Museum idea. They got some funding and purchased many technological items of their time in London. However, his friends traveling all over the world were also bringing him gifts from various cultures that he was collecting.

Prague's streets are full of surprises like this "man"; couldn't find anybody to ask about its story  

As a result, the current museum was founded in 1862 as the Czech Industrial Museum in the basement of the family brewery. After his death, he left all his estate to a foundation, which oversaw the museum’s transformation to a focus on non-European cultures. And, in 1931, it was nationalized and joined the National Museum network. What is astounding is that this museum, which was one of the cultural and educational centers of the Czech intelligentsia in the 19th century, owns much of its collection that was either given to Mr. Naprstek as gifts or through donations by his friends who were Czech expatriates, travelers and ethnographers. As I debate, at a turning point in my life, on whether I should slow down and ease into retirement or invest a new energy into the last phase of my professional life, I bow to a guy like that, here is a man, who has changed his world in a brief span of time, which was his not too long life...
 
Here is tonight's show at the St. Gilles Church, Bolero, no less... 

After stopping briefly at the St. Gilles Church and the Baroque Library (Clementine), which was not open to visitation, I decide I’d better head to Josefov; the Jewish quarter of Prague renamed after the Austrian king Joseph II, who was the first European king that started the Jewish non-discrimination wave. He gave them their right to speak their language, to start Jewish schools, to pay taxes more or less equal to non-Jews among others. As a result, this movement spilled into first surrounding countries then to other European countries. Hence, appreciation by the Jews of Prague.  However, I would like to stop at a café first, since I am thirsty and hungry. Vola, I bump into a café named Kafka Snob Food! I check out the food; the lovely young woman, my size with a bright smile, who will become my server convinces me that the pistachio cheesecake is really good. That’s what I will eat then along with mint tea; all cafes in Prague have mint tea that they prepare from fresh mint  leaves and they know it needs to be served with honey and lemon!.
 
Amazing architectural pearls pop up around every corner in Prague

I have already made a mental note that she has an impeccable command of English. As I am taking notes on my scrap paper, she brings me my tea and cake. My brothers would say “No surprise”, I chat her up, who is more than willing to talk with me. Her name is Dina, originally from Egypt! Her English command comes from having attended an “Experimental” School from elementary school until the end of high school, where the educational language was English. Just like I. I tell her from the outset, I kind of saw my youth in her, same dark complexion, same curly dark hair, same sparks of curiosity in her eyes (I don’t know if my curiosity about all walks of life will ever end), and a gut feeling that told me she was not European. Her face is a big smile when I tell her that. She asks me about what I was writing all this long, I tell her about my blog, she is interested not only in my blog, but also in being in my story, and even letting me take a selfie of the two of us!

Dina, an Egyptian beauty, doing her PhD in Prague meeting a Turkish woman from America at Kafka Snob Food café! Globalization has some good to it...

She is in Prague because she is doing her PhD in sociology with a focus on non-profit organizations! I had sensed, there was more than complexion drawing me to her. She is supporting herself by working here to complete her PhD. She was also an activist back in Egypt just like I back in Turkey in 1970s-80s. I wish we had had enough time to talk more about our activist days. I wonder what her role was in the Arab Spring, since she is now 30. But she is busy with other customers. When I am ready to leave, she asks for the address of my blog. I give her a hug, which she warmly accepts since she is the same age as my daughter. I hope my daughter also meets people, who will give her warm, genuine mother’s hugs… I hope we will remain in contact Dina.
 
The first room in Pinkas Synagogue, walls of which are covered with dead Jewish families, victims of Nazis... 

A few blocks from the café is Pinkas Synagogue, the first of the six complexes I will visit today that belong to the Jewish Museum in Josefov. When I enter the synagogue, I feel an initial aversion to the place. It is empty, other than its walls, there is nothing. My critical mind comes into play asking “Why don’t they use this place?” In Amsterdam, all the old churches and synagogues had a contemporary function and I had loved it.
 
First and last names of the head of family is in read followed with other family members' first names... Wall after wall... 

Just as I am trying to open my judging mind to curiosity, I notice the red sparks on the walls and notice that all four walls of the first room are covered with lines of names and numbers: Instantaneously, I recall, I would visit a place where the names of all Jews from Bohemia and Moravia that died during Holocaust would be on display. That is why, the place is so bleak, almost emitting negative energy, very justly so. I remind myself kindly one more time “All initial impressions may be false, ‘pause and explore what is underneath what hits the eye’ is always a better strategy before jumping to judgment…”
 
The list of concentration camps and Jewish ghettos created by Nazis in Czech land... 

Truth is that five large rooms in this synagogue, which is a medium size worship space, with all their walls are covered with the names of the fallen. The last name of the first member of a family is in red, so are the initials of all first names, the following family members are listed only with their first names. For all individuals, the dates of birth and death follow their names, the latter falling between 1939 and 1945, with no exception. 78,000 names on the walls of five rooms… Has the room gotten chillier or is it me, my skin is covered with goose bumps and I am a bit shaky, barely able to keep in place the tears in my eyes, fighting to roll down my cheeks.

Here is a drawing by one of Terezin children, one of 4000 art work created by children at the ghetto 

How did humanity lose all its compassion in that impossible to comprehend period of time? How did they dehumanize millions to almost non-sentient being level? How did masses follow a mentally ill, narcissistic invalid to such extents? Did it feel as normal as it does nowadays with how we try to understand the Trump voters, with how half the population in Turkey follows Erdogan to their and country’s destruction? How does all that happen at sociological level? What should we do to prevent history from recurring?
 
No different than a prison's courtyard, child's view of Terezin 

With these thoughts, I go upstairs to a room where numerous drawings and paintings from 10,000 children, who were interned along with their parents in the ghetto or concentration camp of Terezin, an hour north of Prague. Some 4,000 such art work were preserved, some of which is on display in this room; another chilling experience. The Jewish self-governance body in Terezin had gotten permission from their jailers to teach their kids drawing, singing, and crafts, which must have been seen as not dangerous. Yet, with what the children drew and painted, they told the whole story of Terezin…
 
In all of Prague, the Pinkas Synagogue left the greatest impression on my soul... 

The elders not only wanted to keep their children engaged with a means of self-expression but also wanted to help them remain emotionally healthy. In the meantime, they secretly also taught their children language, history, and science. Since some of the best minds of the era were Jews and they were also interned, the kids got the best of the best of education, go figure! However, scores of adults and children were sent to all kinds of other concentration camps including Auschwitz, work camps, from where very few ever returned.
 
Many in Terezin and elsewhere were eventually loaded onto trains toward places with no return.. 

I am almost relieved to be in the Old Cemetery and take in deep breaths to shake off the guilt, shame, and despair Pinkas Synagogue triggered in me, not knowing yet, there is another story told here. For centuries, from early 15th century until the end of the 18th century, Jews of Prague were allowed to bury their dead only in this barely an acre of cemetery squeezed among the Pinkas and Klausen synagogues and the Ceremony Hall. As a result, in this space, nearly 12,000 gravestones are leaning against one another over 12 layers of bodies buried on top of one another, underneath.

Old Jewish cemetery, where 12,000 grave stones are squeezed together over 12 layers of graves, each... Jews were not allowed to bury their dead anywhere but here...

The rest of my visit through the Jewish quarter was not so very impressive since nothing could surpass at this point what the Pinkas synagogue and the cemetery had instilled in me already. If one cannot visit it all, these two are must-see places in Josefov. By this time it is around 4, and before going to the concert at the library in the evening, taking a 2 hour bus tour sounds perfectly appropriate. It adds very little to what I know about the old town and most of new town, but once we cross the river to the Hradcany area where the castle is things do change.
 
Closer look at the castle 

I think, this is the largest castle I have seen in Europe, considering, it is still a center of administration, it is indeed quite a big deal. Right in front of the castle, we take a half hour break to take pictures and stroll around. I must have used my time a bit too generously, when I come out, the bus is gone as the driver promised us to do upon releasing us! Apparently this happens all too often. No big deal, in the half hour before closing time, I visit the Sternbersky Palace, in which Old Masters’ art is on display. I must apologetically say, I am not much fond of Old Masters’ art: Their theme is all about Christianity, obviously there was no thinking beyond religion after Aristotles for close to 1200 years… Lack of light of the mind is reflected in their dark paintings… When I come across impressionism on the other hand, I can spend hours and hours in a museum. However, I can tell, in late 1500s, things started to shift. I enjoy the pieces where true facial expressions, body movements start reflecting on the canvas… “The Scholar in His Study” by Rembrandt being one of those: The scholar clearly is a thinking and feelings human being, despite still being engulfed in dark colors.
 
Rembrandt's "Scholar in His Study" painting from the Sternbersky Palace

After I come out, I figure, the winding down slope must be leading to town. However, before I turn that direction, I get a dark beer from one of the vendors creating a divide in the middle of the cobble stoned square in front of the castle. They have put out high bar tables with no chairs in two rows, around which customers are hanging out as they drink and eat. None of the food is appealing, except for a grill on which delicious appearing steaks are calling my name through immense aroma they are emitting. 

From the "Palace Square" looking at the hills crowned with Prague's mini-Eiffel Tower
 
There is a young dark complexioned man also looking at the steaks. The cook says it is not ready, we say, we will wait. Eventually, we learn that the steak in fact is for tomorrow, but he will sell us two pieces. We are happy by that time Phillip from Portugal and I have already introduced ourselves to each other since we became comraderies in this steak acquisition pursuit. He is the son of a teacher mother and a salesman father and the younger of two brothers.
 
The vendors, where I had a chunk of steak for dinner with my Portuguese young friend Phillip 

He is finishing his nano-chemistry degree this year and will hopefully get into bioengineering of nano-chemistry master’s program in Dresden, German. He has been on a Europe tour including Berlin, Dresden, Prague, Vienna, where he will meet up with his brother, who is doing his master’s degree there. He is delighted with the idea that with his degree he may contribute to finding treatment for currently incurable diseases such as traumatic paralysis. He is barely 20 and full of hope and passion.

Beautiful Vltava River cutting Prague into two 

What hits me most is that he loves traveling alone, he shares with me “Finding that edge of discomfort because of uncertainty and be fine with that patiently waiting for things to unfold is a good thing.” What an emotionally intelligent man he is. I wish I had acquired this intelligence when I was much younger. But I also like the idea of “Never too late…” In fact Pema Chodron says “We have to learn to be comfortable with the discomfort of uncertainty.” That is what I am trying to master for the last several years and the better I become with it, the more at peace I become… Thank you Phillip and best of luck to you…
 
An Asian mother trying to make her daughter look her best before engagement/wedding ceremony...
 
On my way down, I observe people living their lives. An Asian looking young couple must be getting ready for their engagement. The young woman has a bright red dress on, they are posing against the Malonstranke Church in their background. The mother of one of them is constantly repositioning her skirt tail to please the photographer. Sweet, everybody on the square is watching them with pleasant expressions on their faces… I come across a weed store with a striking sign at the door!

A deli selling cannabis/weed close to Charles Bridge 

As I walk across Charles Bridge again, I notice that beggars are again in their folded pose, is this their tradition, are they keeping their faces away from passers-by for fear of recognition, are they sleeping as they beg? Or are they meditating? Quite a mystery for the time being, which I won’t be able to resolve during this trip. When I befriend one of the shop keepers, I will ask her about this, she brings up "They must be ashamed..." I am not sure, if anybody knows the mystery behind this, please leave a note for me on this blog if you do. When I enter the bridge, it is again full of life, color, and vibrancy... A group of young musicians are making lively music with violins and a make-shift drum. I join the crowd and savor the sounds... Every time I pass across on this bridge, I can’t help but recall King Charles IV and how one person may change the history and trajectory of a nation, a community, a family… I am convinced every day that we should strive to do our best, with compassion and kindness. The seeds we plow will definitely lead to good crop sooner or later…


Yet another band on Charles River
Yet another beautiful moment on Vltava River at dusk...
 

No comments: